Skip to main content

Critical Thinking in studio practice.

I took part in a critical thinking workshop today which was design to develop a better understanding of the working and reasons behind my practice. I was familiar with some of the things I have to be conscious  about when making and designing and I was trying to employ them in my work this year.

Today I had to ask myself lots of questions and also I got a chance to hear what my pierce think about my work and how it is understood.
It was a valuable lesson and I am glad that I have taken some notes :)

More or less the critical thinking is constant practice of asking yourself why are you doing what you are doing and looking at all aspects of the project: materials, making processes, sociological connections, history, how the work can be read from different perspectives and what is important to you as a maker, who is the audience etc.
The key is to keep open mind and welcome challenges instead of proceeding with the easiest solution.

I went to my studio work after lunch and started to work on my new moulds as the previous ones are wearing off and are slightly off - 3mm which is causing some problems with installation.

I have marked all the cut out lines of my new model when some technical difficulties aroused and it was obvious I have to start again and hack it from another angle - one my think that by now I should know what I am doing but apparently I am not :D

I was stuck and disappointed - I didn't want to repeat the same thing over and over again... Besides for last few weeks I wasn't happy with the work any more, it was lacking something and I couldn't put my finger on it. So I took my sketchbook and started drawing and thinking what it is that I am looking for.
It took me about 2 hour and lots of staring blindly ahead but I think I finally got it :)

I have just realised now that it was thanks to that workshop that I had find the solution.

I will work on some new forms now and keep few of the old ones. Lets see where it will take me :)

Please comment and let me know what is your view on my work - I really need your feedback as it will help me to develop a better design. Speak your mind ESPECIALLY if you DON'T LIKE SOMETHING!!  Tell me what does not work for you. Thank you :D

Here are some quick photos of my new ideas:


 I would like to develop more angles and keep it quite square - I will test some tiles with triangle as a base and see where it leads me but I think they are a little bit too organic in a way...

Comments

  1. Hi!
    I am also a ceramic design student and was looking at some portfolios on Coroflot and ended up here :)

    I am currently working on a similar project, a flatback inspired by the mixture of natural and man-made. I was to be a one-piece flatback but it evolved to a tile-like project with different heights and textures...

    Well, I just thought it was nice to tell you that I've really enjoyed looking at your work on this blog and wish you a lot of luck with your final project, it's really nice! :)

    Ana

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dublin

In last two months I was in Dublin more often then in whole 6 years of living in Ireland! This week I was very lucky to be part of Ceramics Ireland Exhibition which takes place in Rathfarnham Castle starting this Saturday until 27th August. The Castle itself is interesting thing to visite but the exhibition is located in one of the rooms that wasn't renovated and it looks amazing... But more about it in my next post... Now I wanted to show you some photos I took that day... As some of you have noticed I like Architecture and Patterns so don't be surprised :) Hope you'll like them :) I do :)

Final Project :)

Hi again :) This time I have just one FINAL project :) I had to pick something that will keep me interested and excited for a whole year so it may not be a surprise to some of you that I decided to base my work onece again on architecture. Most of my inspiration photos are already in the previous post -I just love the patters and reflections in them. Here are some of them just to remind you what I have in mind.  And here is what I did in PhotoShop to bring some of the plans forward and broaden my research.  Now I just have to do the magic and get something interesting out of them in my sketchbook :) I am looking forward to do that but on the other hand I know it is a tough project.... Well I hope to update you soon with my drawings and swatches :) Please let me know what you think :) 

1...2...3... testing...testing...

This week was a great challenge for me... I had tried to build my units out of porcelain, paperclay and finally fibreclay. In the beginning nothing worked - the curvy strips were getting straight when they dried or they weren't strong enough to build with them. Even now I still don't know how they will turn out after firing. Porcelain moves a lot in the kiln and I like it but this time I have to find a way to compromise it's desire to move with my idea of form I would like to achieve. Here are some of my test from this week. I am planning to fire them on Friday so the results will be on Monday. Please keep your fingers crossed for me :) This are just porcelain tests the middle one was a W and that's what is left of it after few hours. The last piece and the cylinder probably will collapse in the kiln... Well we'll see :) Now that's paperclay. As you can see on the bottom photo it also went flat after joining two pieces. I really hope the middle