Skip to main content

Naked Raku

In the end of January I have attended a Naked Raku workshop in Thomastown organised by Ceramics Ireland. I already was familiar with both Raku and Naked Raku but wanted to extend my knowledge in this field.
Naked Raku is a firing technique in which the pot is masked with the slip and then glazed and fired @ 1000 C then the kiln is opened and pots are transferred to the reduction chamber filled with sawdust, and covered to accommodate the reduction process.

The difference between the Raku and Naked Raku is that in the second process the glaze is pealed off after firing and the pot unglazed- Naked. It all seems quite confusing and a bit complicated but in fact it is very simple, fast and effective way of decorating ceramics. The only disadvantage is that the pot is porous and can be use only as decoration as it is not food safe. With time the smoke marks can get lighter which can be slowed down by applying oil or floor polish paste on pots.

Here are some photos - maybe they will make things easier to understand. I am missing few photos of the application stage - will add them as soon as I get a chance of taking them :)


1. The pieces will be black and white. The black is achieved by reduction and will appear in places that remain uncovered during firing. (Places without glaze, they can be masked out using masking tape or wax resist or simply by scratching through the glaze).

2. Apply slip in places that you want to be white.  Slip is used as a resist for glaze - it will stop the reduction and keep the surface white, it won't allow the glaze to stick to the surface and makes it possible to peal it off later. If you wont put glaze on top of the slip the surface will turn black. You can experiment with the grades of black/grey by trying out different thickness of the slip.

3. Apply Glaze on top of the slip to protect the white surface of the pot. Naked Raku works best on white clays - beautiful effects can be achieved on porcelain- on colour clays the contrast of the marks is not as dramatic and looks dull. If you apply glaze on part of the pot that was not covered with slip, it will stick to the pot - as in 'normal' Raku. In the workshop the pots covered with slip where put tho the kiln for 20 min to dry out before applying glaze.


4. Pack your Raku kiln and fire up to 1000 C then soak for 20 min and open the kiln and place the glowing pots in the reduction chamber filled with damp sawdust. Sprinkle more saw dust to increase the reduction - and increase the contrast of the black marks. Cover the chamber/ bin with the lid and wet newspapers.




5. Open the bin and start pealing the glaze - it will come of easily if you place the hot ceramics in water, it is important to submerge them completely to lower the risk of breakage as it can be a big thermal shock.



Final results.

Comments

  1. I've never heard of Naked Raku. That's what I love about pottery. There's always something new to learn. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Final Project :)

Hi again :) This time I have just one FINAL project :) I had to pick something that will keep me interested and excited for a whole year so it may not be a surprise to some of you that I decided to base my work onece again on architecture. Most of my inspiration photos are already in the previous post -I just love the patters and reflections in them. Here are some of them just to remind you what I have in mind.  And here is what I did in PhotoShop to bring some of the plans forward and broaden my research.  Now I just have to do the magic and get something interesting out of them in my sketchbook :) I am looking forward to do that but on the other hand I know it is a tough project.... Well I hope to update you soon with my drawings and swatches :) Please let me know what you think :) 

Dublin

In last two months I was in Dublin more often then in whole 6 years of living in Ireland! This week I was very lucky to be part of Ceramics Ireland Exhibition which takes place in Rathfarnham Castle starting this Saturday until 27th August. The Castle itself is interesting thing to visite but the exhibition is located in one of the rooms that wasn't renovated and it looks amazing... But more about it in my next post... Now I wanted to show you some photos I took that day... As some of you have noticed I like Architecture and Patterns so don't be surprised :) Hope you'll like them :) I do :)

1...2...3... testing...testing...

This week was a great challenge for me... I had tried to build my units out of porcelain, paperclay and finally fibreclay. In the beginning nothing worked - the curvy strips were getting straight when they dried or they weren't strong enough to build with them. Even now I still don't know how they will turn out after firing. Porcelain moves a lot in the kiln and I like it but this time I have to find a way to compromise it's desire to move with my idea of form I would like to achieve. Here are some of my test from this week. I am planning to fire them on Friday so the results will be on Monday. Please keep your fingers crossed for me :) This are just porcelain tests the middle one was a W and that's what is left of it after few hours. The last piece and the cylinder probably will collapse in the kiln... Well we'll see :) Now that's paperclay. As you can see on the bottom photo it also went flat after joining two pieces. I really hope the middle